Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Iron Giant

Mark Engblom recommended this movie a couple years back but I never got around to watching it.  Then the other day I found out a friend of mine had the DVD and I borrowed it.

If you've never seen the movie, I highly recommend it.  A young boy named Hogarth befriends an alien robot who has crash landed on Earth.  The robot has no memory, and so the boy teaches him English and at one point gives him a comic book to read:

This becomes a key plot point in the movie, as the giant begins to model himself after Superman.  At any rate, the cover looks real enough that I decided to poke around.  Since the story is set in 1957, I figured it had to be from sometime around then.  Sure enough, it's Action #188, from January 1954:

Aside from a few liberties taken with the coloring, it's a reasonably accurate reproduction, even including the mention of Tommy Tomorrow at the top.

Incidentally, this is the second movie I've seen recently that included comics as a major theme; Catch Me If You Can with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks prominently featured a number of issues of the Flash.

4 comments:

Kid said...

Saw this movie a few years back. Yeah, it's a good one.

Anonymous said...

Regarding "Catch Me If You Can": Not only do several issues of THE FLASH appear on-screen, but they follow the story's time-line. Early in the movie, we see a few FLASH comics on Frank's bedside table, all from the early 1960s. Later, when Carl visits Frank in prison, he brings him a few issues of THE FLASH from the late 60's. I was impressed by that attention to detail, considering that 99% of the movie's audience wouldn't have noticed or cared. -- Jim

Mike Frank said...

Dial B for Blog has a long article on the use of Flash comics in "Catch Me If You Can".

Anonymous said...

I laughed hysterically when Frank gives his name as "Special Agent Barry Allen" then I noticed there was only one person besides me laughing (not that it stopped me).